Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gluten Free Baking

There are only two Bakeries and a handful of restaurants in Grand Rapids that have Gluten Free items. I went to lunch today with some friends and the restaurant had a Gluten Free Menu, which was nice, but not much to choose from. They only had one dessert and no bread that I could eat, but they brought out bread for everyone else...frustrating when you are trying to follow a diet.  I want there to be more choices for people when they go out to eat or get coffee at the local coffee shop.

Today I went out and bought a few different gluten free flours at Harvest Health Food. I have decided that this month I would try and bake as many gluten free items as I can!  So the first two things that I created were Gluten Free Cinnamon Muffins and Herb Crackers.

All of my GF Flours.

 I filled the regular sized muffins with Raspberry Jam and put a powdered sugar glaze on top. The Raspberry Jam mixed with the glaze but they look better that way I think! The small muffins I rolled in powdered sugar.


Look at that crumb!! So delicate and not dense.



The crackers were interesting because the dough was moist. I had to roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment. I then removed the top piece and baked the crackers on the bottom piece all without lifting the dough off of the paper. They were reealllly good and flaky, so worth the effort.

The dough had oregano, rosemary and garlic salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment